Tuesday, March 13, 2007

So I'm not sure I told anyone about this...But Thursday I'm competing in a speech competition....No pressure.....Right??...Dude...If I stress about this anymore than I already am I'll die of a heart attack!! Seriously!! I am so doomed!! Ok, so I know I can do all things through Christ...But I'm starting to think I'm gonna die....or at least that entering was a bad idea...So there's like 2 rounds. There are 6 rooms and in each room there are 7 people each competing for a spot in the final 6...So there can only be one winner from each room...And then they compete in front of a live audience...For one of 6 places...The only ones worth mentioning are the first 3...First place wins a plaque..500 dollars and a lithograph worth $500....plus about $200 in "gifts" whatever THAT means....2nd place is $300 and third place is $100...All places win a plaque...I have an exam earlier that day...and the competition is from 6pm to 9pm....and all I can say is..."help me...!!!....Heeeeeeeeeeeelllllpppp meeeeeeeee!!!..........." or "we're all gonna DIE!!!"...Yes, I am nervous!! Which I have to say is an interesting place to be in....I HATE this!! I have 6 minutes to try to give a persuasive speech and I'm so...ARGH!! this is SO over-rated!! On the one hand I'm like....Sweet!! I could SO go for the $500.....but then again...I have SO much to do to be ready that I'm like!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!....There HAS to be a middle ground!! It can't be like this for the next two days!!! I'll die!! Seriously!! The stress alone'll kill me! I guess I'll just have to try to think about this as a test.....of some kind.....and that I'll just have to put on some kind of persona....well...not in those words exactly but you get the idea....I never really saw myself as someone who'd get nervous about public speaking.....well..It's not really the speaking but the COMPETING that's got me running and hiding under my desk in abject terror......Who'd have thought all my shy notions would suddenly come back with a vengeance!!! Ugh!!

11 comments:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

Yeah, shyness is curious. Sometimes I am...sometimes I'm not. I have 2 tricks that help me, however...and they might help you.

1) Be reasonably prepared (with notes, good appearance, a tad of extra research, and practice), but when you make mistakes (which always seem to happen---so plan for them), MAKE AGRESSIVE MISTAKES! It's much better to be bold in your approach than insecure (remember Joshua 1:9).

2) Chew gum when not on the stage. I have multiple nervous habits that ruin my appearance (chewing nails, twirling hair, picking at my clothes, etc), but when I chew gum I don't do any of those. Also, my breath smells better :-P Just remember to spit it out before you start talking.

Hey, if you need a pep talk, call me sweetie! I'm glad we got to chat yesterday, but would love to talk more :-)

Jason said...

"I HATE this!! I have 6 minutes to try to give a persuasive speech and I'm so...ARGH!! this is SO over-rated!!"
--now that would be an interesting argument to use... Next up, ____ ______ will attempt to convince us that "Persuasive Speeches Are Over-Rated"

You know, considering you're so sure that you're going to die, what am I to think should I see you this weekend at church? Either you'd be a lier, or heaven would look distinctly like Copley, OH.

Oh, wait, I should leave some advice or consolation or something. Not trying to over-spiritualize things, but fear of the unknown can be worse than the worst-case scenario. Sometimes I remind myself that, should the worst-case scenario occur, Christ still died for my sins. That tends to put things in perspective and take care of some of my fear.

Chanel Blanc said...

Ouch...Ya know Jason, honesty doesn't have to bite me in the shorts....But it WAS funny....The sad thing is that I laughed til it hurt and it was true in a ouch kinda way.....

Jason said...

Hmm, laughed til it hurt? I hope you're feeling better. But I'm confused. Part A, B or C of my above comment?

Chanel Blanc said...

Umm...I'm really confused....what are we talking about??...I'm not sure what part a, b or c has to do with anything....

Jason said...

I had comments regarding three things--your speech, your "impending death," and the advice/consolation--and I wasn't sure what was so funny that it hurt. Whatever... it really doesn't matter. I hope your speech goes well, though.

Chanel Blanc said...

Lol! I think I get it now. I was laughing at your "advice/consolation".... So now you know...And so do I.....But that's beside the point!! Sorry to annoy! Lol! I seem to be doing that a LOT today!!! LoRl! ;-p

Thanks btw. I'll try to do well....Worst case scenario I don't win,BUT people get to hear what I have to say about Genetically Engineered Food...So I guess I win no matter what happens...Besides, this is good practice for the rest of my life.....;-p Man, things are REALLY going to heat UP!!!

Chanel Blanc said...

On second thought I found everything you said to be funny...It was only your advice that was painful!! ^_^ Oh well....I guess that means I'll just have to watch out! You've got one heck of a sense of humor....The funny thing is I can see you saying that in response to me.....Sad, but true...

Chanel Blanc said...

If everything else fails then I can try to persuade them that you have a sense of humor....that would certainly tickle my funny bone....hmm...I guess I'll have to consider that......

Jason said...

"You've got one heck of a sense of humor"
--And you've come a long way...

...um, yeah, I'm done commenting on this thread... before any new confusion sets in...

Chanel Blanc said...

Ouch! Dude, the pain!!...And we've come full circle to the "honesty doesn't have to bite me in the shorts!!!" thing!!!

Feel free to not comment anymore...It's not like I can MAKE you or anything.....;-p

And I think I'll wait till Sunday to tell everyone how I did....So you're all just going to have to wait!!!