Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Spring Cleaning

Since I have been "spring cleaning" recently, and I still have it on the brain, I thought I would share some observations and insights with you.

We are like a cupboard. Profound huh??.. I like it. And to prove my point: we holds things from the small cups of sorrow or joy to the plates of plenty. We lock them into our hearts and minds and we don't let them go. The good, the bad and the ugly, it all resides within. Our sin is like the dust that accumulates around our collective "stuff" and dulls it and makes us nasty and grimy and completely unfit to hold eating utensils. Yet we use it still. Why? Because it is safe, and normal - if anyone knows someone who is interested in creating a way to hold dishes other than a cupboard then please let me know...I'd LOVE to NOT have to clean it...I'm allergic to dust...Ahh a world without dust....But I digress...Back to cupboards. - and we don't know another way of doing things that doesn't include our sin. Let's be honest with ourselves, we LIKE our sin. It's comfortable and it makes us happy. Not in a lasting way, or in a way that gives us joy...But we all enjoy revenge now and again, or losing our temper...Or not screening what we say when we're talking to someone and we're upset...It's the little things. And they matter. They add up. Little by little and we still, like a dog, go back to our vomit... There, I said it, but I don't like the imagery...Just so we're clear. It's God that comes in and takes everything out and starts to clean up the mess that we've made of ourselves and our lives. He moves our plates and dusts off our dreams, and in some cases throws them out and then he gives us new ones. And then he puts them back onto the nice, CLEAN, and sanitary shelf and deposits a little bit of himself in our cabinet, to keep things looking spankin'.

So I say again. We are like cabinets, and we are desperately in need of some cleaning.

No comments: