Monday, January 04, 2010

Canoli

Hello my friends, so for New Years I thought I'd make something a little sweet for my family. Since I'm a relatively new Celiac I've been scouring the wired trying to come up with things that I can eat...Being a poor college student doesn't really help matters much, but I do what I can.

Having said that, I wanted to do something special. After all, it was going to be a quiet New Years with just me mum and I. I wanted something to commemorate the occasion. So I found a recipe for gluten-free canolo (which is the singular form of canoli). They are an Italian desert made from deep fried dough and then filled with sweet cheese and sweetened (I used honey) and chocolate.

They were a hit! It went better after I realized that the oil was at too high a temperature and was burning my canoli dough before it was cooked all the way through...Ah, the joys of learning and baking! But it was fun (I got my blond roommate of elfish decent to help out at the end) and then my housemates ate like 5 each! (which is quite an accomplishment since they're very sweet) Even my mom (who had 4 right after they were made) couldn't seem to put them down! The general consensus was that they were wonderful and the only way to show that wonderfulness was to gorge themselves until bursting and then to groan about it the rest of the night!!

Ha!

All in all it was a great time and I enjoyed watching their faces as they ate. It certainly made it worth it! Now to try my hand at gluten-free cinnamon rolls and then who knows?

1 comment:

Laedelas Greenleaf said...

The GF cinnamon rolls were amazing. But I'm mad that you made your brother eat them all while I was asleep...

~~The Blonde Roommate Of Elvish Descent