Monday, January 11, 2010

Wow...

Since I've been diagnosed with Celiac's I've pretty much taken it to mean that my life, as I knew it, was over. And I promptly began the mourning process. Yeah, dark day at my house. It wasn't pretty.

But I have to say, once I started to do research on gluten-free recipes I started to see a silver lining. Ok, yes I have to make pretty much everything I eat from scratch. and yes I can't eat out anymore (I'm also really sensitive to chemicals. seriously, it's obscene I went to a friends wedding over the weekend (I'm so happy for you hun! and I can't believe she's married!) and I made the mistake of imbibing some of the punch...and I spent that night and the next day on my back (I kept feeling like I was going to pass out, was incredibly dizzy and my sight was fuzzy around the edges) so needless to say I'm not doing that again....Like ever!) but there's a silver lining here....Know what?! Know what?! I'm making and eating foods that I never would've otherwise....

Example? Applesauce. Now, many of you are probably already shaking your heads in exasperated wonder and thinking to yourself Self, is she serious? I've been making that for ages...And so have like a bazillion other people. Who's she kidding?? But let me tell you, I've never have I ever made applesauce. Never. And I don't know anyone in my family who's ever had the delight of ever making it either. So ha! I'm breaking ground!! Mwahahahaha!!! And when I'm done with that?? Know what??!! I'm going to ballet and then I'm going to make chocolate cake with espresso chocolate ganache icing...It's going to be warm and gooey and melt in my mouth and I'm going to melt into a puddle of Rae and enjoy every minute of it...

But that's just desert...So maybe being Celiac is the end of the world as I knew it, but hun, it's been the start of an entirely new one. (Yesterday I made salsa from scratch, loved every minute of it...Seriously I had the entire house eating out of my hand...Almost literally!! It was fun!) But I'm learning as I go, and making things I never would've even thought to make otherwise. So yeah, the world hasn't ended (yet) but I'm not suffering...I'm enjoying (almost) every moment!

~Rae

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
COMPARTEBHIP said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
She. said...

I came across your blog, and immediately saw this post of course. I can't relate, I don't have Celiacs; but my cousin does, along side diabetes type 2. He was diagnosed when he was just ten! It broke his heart.

It's kind of inspired me how upbeat and ... uh ... what's the word ... positive (that isn't the word, but it'll do for now) you are about the whole situation.

Sorry if I seem to be babbling, it's rather late, I'm searching from blog to blog trying to find an interesting one.

I think I'll read all of your previous posts (maybe not ALL) because you seem happy and positive on this thing. Quirky, that's the word I'm looking for.

Sincerely,
Kim

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had so much pain physically after attending our wedding! I hope your gluten free diet has been going well for you. Take care, and God bless you, dear friend!
Love,
~Heather